Mission :"An internal control mechanism put in place in the commission for internal checks and balances and reports directly to the Chairman of the commission."
Internal Audit Unit came into existence with the creation of Anambra State in 1991 when State Education Commission was established at Ifitedunu, Dunukofia LGA Anambra State. It was headed by Chief L.C. Okeke, who put in all the necessary structures in the six educational zones of the state for effective financial monitoring and control in the new state. It has since grown in functions and number as schools have grown.
It is an autonomous unit under the portfolio of the Chairman of PPSSC, which deals with the administrative control of finances of the commission and functions by measuring and evaluating the effectiveness of the internal control system of the commission.
FUNCTIONS OF INTU
STRUCTURES OF INTU
- Ensures effective internal control machinery by its advisory role to the commission on all financial matters as well as carrying out full scale audit inspection of accounts and records kept in all state schools in all zonal offices and headquarters at intervals.
- Conducting p-re-payment audit of all payment vouchers, of all salary vouchers, and the periodic verifications of the commission present values.
- Determines and confirms the appropriate salary points for both tutorial and non-tutorial staff of the commission who are promoted to new salary scale and step.
- Conducts market surveys and periodic stock checks of the commission store of inventories and other stock checks.
- Special investigations on violation of guidelines given through the commission to schools- illegal levies in schools and zonal offices.
- Issue audit queries, analysis reports, raises audit alarms (when necessary), recovers cash shortages and under-lodgements from erring schools principals, bursars and other commission personnel involved in fraudulent practices.
Audit has six out-stations in the six educational zones of the state. Each zonal office is headed by a Zonal Interval Auditor who reports to the Chairman through the Head of Audit Unit at Headquarters. Staff of zonal offices are Headquarter staff and their entitlements are taken care of at the Headquarters.